New site design 2023
Here we are again! A new site design, that may stay for a little bit usual, than one year. As you can see, this is a pretty radical change, compare to the others I used.
Yes, I wanted something different. I am usually on the practical side of things. As long as it works, it doesn't matter for me if it looks good or not. A website should be readable, with easy navigation, and has to show the right information that the people are looking for. That's it.
Sadly with AI written articles all over the places, looking for information can be increasingly difficult.
I just want to mention, that I am not a professional designer, I just like to tinker with colors for more than 20 years. Started building websites before 2000, and I still like to do play with it. I think "web design" as it is, become a boring grey blog, with the same elements and roughly the same colors all over the web. But that's maybe for another blog post…
Let's talk about the "design process"
This design inspired by the old Wordperfect editor. I have never used WP personally (or just don't remember), but I used Norton Commander, which had also similar blue-yellow colorscheme going on. Everything started with a question on fediverse about favorite Emacs themes, and somebody answered Word Perfect. I had it installed and used it before, but haven't in a while. So I switched to it again, and I liked it. I also started to look at screenshots, and slowly started to rewrite my CSS for the site. I didn't try to copy all the colors though.
In the meantime I rediscovered the iA Writer fonts, and started to use them in terminal, Emacs, etc. This come from the desire to change the font I use to write my blog and notes in Emacs. My previous font I used was Iosevka and their many variants. Great font, and I am sure I will return to it at some point.
What I like about this design, is the contrast between the blue background, and a greyish font color for the text. The yellow and white headers broke the flow of the text well, it pops out.
I tried to copy the menu a little, and while I am struggling with some elements, it is fully functional. Over time it will be fixed, but it's readable and clickable.
The header title was really just something that is there for a while, pretty unchanged. I wanted something that's not just really boringly says what it says, so I changed to the yellow.
For the post/page title at first I used the same yellow, but I thought it was too much at the top, so I changed it to cyan-ish color.
I am pretty sure that in the coming days I will fix some of the stuff on site. Especially the menu.